Friday, May 11, 2012

Sister's Day Before Mother's Day

I have to add the disclaimer that the one writing this post is not Emily. It is her amazingly handsome husband Josh. Now that the formalities are out of the way I can admit that my sole purpose in writing this blog is to wish my sister Julianne a happy birthday. You might be wondering how old she turned today. I'm sure she would try to convince you that she is 25 but the sad truth is she turned 33. Right Julz? 33? It's hard to keep track sometimes.

I was wondering how in the world I was going to wish this sister of mine the happiest of birthdays. Emily had the idea to just bake her some brownies...which I quickly ate once they left the oven...serves you right Julz, you had it coming. Then I started thinking about all the times I've tormented her children (especially Ella) to the point of making her lose her mind. I thought about all the times I told her older children about when their mom dropped a giant wad of spit on my hand from the balcony above only to hear her say, "I'm sorry, I was trying to make it into your bowl of cereal". Or about all the boys she dated before their dad. Or about the time she helped me with a 6th grade report project which only produced a "D". I thought about all these things and had the idea that I could tell her children that I lied about all those things for her birthday.

But then today I was going through some old files and throwing a lot of papers away when I came across a letter that Julianne had written me in 1998. I was a junior in high school and Julz was married and moved out. I guess at the time I was struggling with the usual teenage hormonal imbalances augmented by a very busy schedule. Julianne had heard (probably from our mother) that I was having a hard time. She filled two pages of handwritten, heart felt encouragement and love. She was busy with a new life and a new baby on the way and did not have to worry herself about her little brother's insignificant problems. But that is who Julianne is. When other people struggle or feel pain, she feels it with them. She feels the greatest happiness when she is able to help her children or her siblings overcome spiritual and emotional trials. I think that everyone in our family would agree that Julianne is the family member that we all would want to become more like. She truly, perfectly lives Alma's creed to "mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye might be in". She doesn't get nearly the appreciation she deserves.

So Julz, for your birthday, I just decided to write this lame blog post and tell you publicly that I love you and that you are a constant reminder of what I should strive to be. Happy Birthday....

Oh I almost forgot, I also found this precious gem along with that letter...


2 comments:

Julz said...

Made my day brother. I was just about to go to bed, feeling kind of sad and lonley, (Scott is at the house) when I clicked on and found this. Thank-you, this is my favorite kind of gift. And I would have gone to bed feeling like a million bucks if that tender heart felt post didnt end with that HID-E-OUS photo. My eyes look like ping pong balls about to shoot out of my face. Eww, eww, eww!Oh and the "you had it coming" line just sent me into a fit of laughter.

Paul and Jenny Stoker said...

You suck. I am not as good at writing as everyone else in the family and my blog just looks really lame now. Oh, did I tell you that you suck?